Gear List,Rules & Scoring
Gear Required At All Times
- 20-60 oz.of hydration capacity - Bottles, hydration bladder, et
- Water-resistant jacket - If the forecast calls for good weather, we will drop this requirement in advance of the race.
- Clothing appropriate for weather conditions (Example: cold weather jacket)
Team (solo, 2 person, 3-4 person)
- Mobile phone - Fully charged in waterproof or double-ziplock bag
- Waterproof protection for maps - Zip lock bag, map case, contact paper
- Compass - Should be base plate or sighting type
- Bib number - Provided at race check-in. Must be visible at all times by race staff.
- Emergency/space/mylar blanket – Full size, metallic style, $2-$3 each at big box stores, outdoor/camping stores or online.
- No trespassing. Stay on park property only. The boundaries are clearly marked on your map.
- Stay out of prohibited areas as marked on your map.
- Team members must stay within 30 meters of each other at ALL times.
- GPS Devices: Keep all GPS-capable devices out of sight for the entirety of the race. If everyone follows this rule, then we should never get an accusation of a team using such a device to cheat.
- Cellphones: May be used for scanning QR codes, taking photos ONLY and tracking your progress for post race review. Under no circumstances may they be for navigation purposes.
- Racers must assist any person in danger.
- Any person or team withdrawing from the race must notify race staff in person. If one or more members of a team wish to continue the race after a teammate withdraws they may do so as an unranked team/solo provided that the entire team has checked in with race staff first. Leaving a teammate behind will result in immediate disqualification.
- Leave no trace.
- Race management may modify these rules. We will inform all racers of any rule changes at the pre-race meeting.
- Checkpoints(CPs) may be visited in any order.
- Teams will first be ranked by number of regular CP/points punched then by number of bonus CPs. So for example, Team Cold Toes punches 10 regular CPs and 0 bonus, Team Soggy Socks punches 9 regular CPs and 3 bonus CPs - Cold Toes wins since they are ranked higher using regular CPs first.
- In order to receive credit for visiting a CP, passports must be clearly punched in the correct box. If you accidentally punch the wrong box, make a note of the mistake on your passport and notify race staff when you turn in your passport.
- There is a 4 hour time limit. Any team/solo arriving late will receive a 1 point penalty plus1 point per additional 5 minutes past 4 hours they arrive at the finish. For example at 4 hours, 5 minutes the penalty is -2 points, at 4 hours, 10 minutes it's -3 points.